Friday, March 7, 2014

To Everything There Is A Season And A Time To Every Purpose Under Heaven.


You may think that quote sounds like a passage from Ecclesiastes or maybe even a song made famous by the Byrds in the ‘60’s and you would be correct on both fronts, but for me it also describes my “seasons” of candy and how each one is anticipated, savored, then a little sad as the seasons change. 

Winter – Winter can be a long, solemn period of time.  There are moments of fun like Christmas when all excuses to behave are thrown out the window and one can indulge themselves in all the best the season has to offer: fudge, ribbon candy, candy canes, cookies, peanut brittle, etc.  January quickly follows, but I usually have enough leftovers from Christmas to get me through to February (plus, yes, like everyone else in the world I tend to cut back on the calories come the new year, for a while at least!).  Winter mellows to welcome in Valentines Day, I smile as I type remembering the lovely box of chocolates I experienced last month with its multitude of flavors.

Spring – call me fickle, but literally within a day after Valentines Day I scope out the stores waiting patiently for Easter candy to arrive.  To me Spring and Easter Candy are synonymous with bright, happy colors, flavors, and simply, Joy.  There are certain jelly beans that are available only during this short season so I take full advantage and celebrate every day.  Plus, Cadbury mini eggs come out – need I say more (well, I could since they seem to be at Christmas now too, but I shun them in Winter and enjoy them only in Spring).

Summer – what is it about summer and candy?  There is no special holiday to stock the shelves with fanciful candies.  One would think it is slim pickings for sure.  But for me it will always be about salt water taffy, circus peanuts, peanut logs and candy buttons.  These are the things I enjoyed as a kid and, well as an adult I still do (though it has been several years since I had candy buttons.)

Fall – oh don’t you just love Fall.  Cool, crisp air, excitement of returning to school, and of course Fall candy.  Overlook the obvious Halloween candy, and think of maple sugar candy – biting through the sugar coated maple leaf into soft and oh so sweet maple candy is perfection!   But even I can only have a few, they are very, very sweet!  Fall also brings candy corn, a seasonal favorite of mine (as you know), but here again there are rules, never buy candy corn until mid-September at the earliest, it is a law.

So yes, like the song/bible quote says there is a time to weep (as the candy season fades), and a time to laugh (the first bit of a favorite piece of chocolate); a time to mourn (my pectin jelly beans are gone), and a time to dance – there is always a time to dance (how else does one burn off all those calories!)

No comments:

Post a Comment