Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sisters!


Over the years the bonds of family seem to come together and grow apart.  Certainly, as kids all under one roof, the relationship with your siblings takes on a special meaning.  The old adage “too much togetherness is not always a good thing” definitely holds true – especially when nine people are living under one roof.  Then we all grow up, go our separate ways, have kids of our own, etc.  But as you get older one thing becomes incredibly clear – no one knows you better than your sisters!  For example, during our “sisters” book club (comprised of sisters, daughters, nieces and cousins) my sister Kathy knew, without any hesitation, that my favorite childhood book is Flicka Ricka and Dicka and the New Dotted Dresses.  I am still blown away by that – not only is that such an obscure book, there are so many childhood books to choose from!  Sisters also always have your back – both Anne and Kathy know I get stressed over cooking so they always assign the simplest tasks for me at holidays.  And, even more importantly as we care for our elderly mother, it is comforting knowing we have each other to laugh, cry and complain with as we go through this experience together.
 

Okay, by now you are wondering what does that have to do with candy?  Well, let me tell you!  For my birthday Kathy and Anne gave me a gift certificate to Candyland (can’t you just hear the trumpets playing and angels signing when you see the word “Candyland”, I certainly do)!   And to put the candy in – a beautiful, modern and sleek candy dish!  We always get together for our birthday lunches and it is funny, but after I opened my gift, I immediately drifted off thinking of what I was going to buy with my gift certificate!  While everyone was talking I was thinking Chicago Mix popcorn, burnt peanuts, taffy, will the holiday candy be out yet.  Pretty pathetic!
 

But this adventure doesn’t end here – Anne told me today about this place called Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store and how we need to go check it out.  Naturally, I immediately Googled it - http://www.yelp.com/biz/jims-apple-farm-jordan-2 .  It is only open from July through November, so the visit may need to wait until next year, but my sisters and I are definitely going.  My “sister from another mother” – Pam, definitely needs to come to town for this too.  Who else is in?

A blog about sisters, especially my sisters, wouldn't be complete without the following image: 

No comments:

Post a Comment