Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Healing Power of Sweets


I woke up this morning feeling a little down, I had good news to share and was sad my mom wasn’t here for me to share it with her.  I am always surprised when the loss of a parent hits as hard as it does.  Admittedly, not a most positive way to start my day (though a nice hug from Steve helped!).  Then at work a co-worker brought in some candy to share from her trip to the UK.  I thought that was nice, but gummy bears – yawn – not overly excited.  Then she gave me the bag to open, inside was a delight of gummy candy from Haribo – miniature cola bottles, little bears, red hearts with a foamy underbelly, diamond rings, and most delightfully foamy fried eggs!  Immediately my mood changed and I felt giddy with excitement, the first thing I thought was “oh I wish I had a dollhouse” these miniature candies were just too cute! 

It got better!  I bite into the egg, tasted the foamy goodness of the “egg white” then encountered the lemony “yolk” and immediately sounded like Duff Goldman from the Food Network describing what I was tasting.  Yes, my co-worker did give me a strange look, but I didn’t care.  When I told her I was feeling kind of blue about my mom this morning she gently pushed the bag of gummies toward me and said take all you want.  For the record, I did show some restraint, but it was just what I needed to turn my day around.  Never underestimate the healing powers of candy – no matter how old you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment